This is a fantastic game I picked up at the Agile Alliance conference in Florida a couple of years ago. It offers deep learning with respect to self-organisation and learning cycles, and a number of people I’ve facilitated it for in conference settings have asked for a facilitation guide.
The mission of the team playing the game is to “beat the facilitator” by preventing them from sitting in a vacant chair for 1 minute. You should allow roughly an hour for the activity.
The smallest group I have played the game with is 7, and the largest about 100. With large numbers, you will want to break into groups of 25-30 with a facilitator per group (it’s very easy to recruit and instruct a facilitator on the spot).
To setup, you need an open space with one chair per player, one for the facilitator and plenty of room to move. Ask each team member to grab a chair, and to randomly organise themselves in the space available. You don’t want a regular arrangement, and certainly not an orderly circle. You want chairs facing in multiple directions fairly evenly distributed throughout the space (some in the middle, some on the edges.
The rules are very simple. Inform the participants that their goal is to learn about self-organisation and learning cycles. Their goal is to block you from occupying a vacant seat for 60 seconds. The constraints are as follows:
- Any number of people can be moving at once to occupy the chair the facilitator is aiming for
- Once you have stood up (or even half stood up), you cannot sit down in the same chair .. you must find a new chair to sit in.
- The chairs cannot be moved from their starting position.
- No physical blocking is allowed. You can’t push the facilitator out of the way or impede them from moving in their desired direction.
- The facilitator can only move at a walk, the team can move as fast as they like. It’s not a running race, it’s a strategy game.
You may or may not choose to warn participants they are likely to take 4 to 5 attempts just to reach 10 seconds. Most groups will take 30-40 attempts to solve it. You have various hints to offer along the way, with the hints later on the list being more powerful accelerators.
· Are they hearing every voice at their retrospectives or allowing dominators?
· Have they remembered that the game is about self-organisation (if they make the inevitable mistake of attempting to have one or two people co-ordinate)?
· Are they trying to reinvent the wheel every retrospective? What about making a small tweak then testing it? It generally takes 10 seconds to decide whether a change was positive or negative (as long as it takes to fail) as opposed to debating it for 40 seconds?
· The most important ingredient in a self-organising team is trust! (This is usually the last hint that helps the breakthrough. Most teams find a winning strategy then have one or two people who keep panicking and breaking it)
The debrief usually drives itself, however some key learnings I look to draw out are:
- A self-organising team still needs a strategy and some agreed rules. It needs to be developed by the team to guide the way they work together.
- The uniting power of a shared mission
- The notion of improvement through small course corrections. A retrospective should identify a small change which can be actioned within 2 weeks, then evaluated as an input to selecting the next small change. It’s too easy to fall into the trap of large “all or nothing” changes.
Places and Times to use the activity
I most commonly use this activity as part of team formation. It’s brilliant to run with a freshly formed team as it really unites them, drops some traditional barriers (nothing like sprinting around a room to do that) and sets the scene for what their retrospectives should feel like. I also use it as part of release train launches (teams of teams) for similar outcomes.
Alternatively, it’s great to run with a team instead of a regular retrospective. It will both drive some interesting reflections on how they work as a team and re-invigorate their retrospectives.
Lastly, you can use it anytime as a community building activity.
Hi, I just read texts on your blog and I became interested in the topic. I like your post and I am thinking whether I could use your words in my work? Would it be doable? If yes, please contact with me. Thank you. nilkamal chairsReplyDelete
I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. John AnthonyReplyDelete
Most eating chairs won't have the option to oblige eating tables that are higher than 31" and will require stool seating.sedie di designReplyDelete
This is a great high resolution screen which you have shared for the users. Making a website is not an easy task but managing a good website is really a hard work. As far as this website is concerned, I am very happy. artcuratorReplyDelete
It's really helpful. I want to thank you the admin for sharing such posts.ReplyDelete
Also Check True Skate MOD Apk All Skate Parks Free Download
For a gammer the best gamming chair is very important to enjoy its game. I know your question is that What is the Best Gaming Chair?ReplyDelete
Whether it be a masterpiece or a family heirloom, the act of art restoration is great enough to be regarded as an art itself. Art ConservationReplyDelete
Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. Agile WorkingReplyDelete
Contrast Ratio-alludes to the distinction between the white level (light) and dark level (dim). Advanced projectors with the higher proportions will have the most well-characterized pictures.ReplyDelete
I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! Wholesale Phoenix ChairsReplyDelete
which is anything but difficult to get to and is anything but difficult to purchase since it has sensible cost for example $44.99. latest chess infoReplyDelete
If the terrible exceeds the great, I would unequivocally prescribe maintaining a strategic distance from that game. Subway surfer hackReplyDelete
Or on the other hand shocking and strong silk seat covers? Searching for something more rich, maybe, lamour seat cover rentals?ReplyDelete
wooden cross back chairs
Great post, Which you've got shared here about the musical chairs. Your article is extremely interesting and that i really enjoyed reading it. Thank you. steam gift card arsReplyDelete
As a leading website designing company in delhi, OGEN Infosystem is one of the best Company. Here you will get professional website at an affordable price and different types of amazing web designs, also get PPC Services and other digital marketing services.ReplyDelete
Website Development Company in Delhi
Appslure is one of the best Software Development Company in Delhi. There are many Software development Companies in Gurgaon, Mumbai, Noida. Appslure have most satisfied clients.ReplyDelete
Tekniko Global is an award-winning mobile app development company in Delhi and other city or countries. We develop high-quality.ReplyDelete
A congregation chair is a chair that gives those in participation at a love administration the capacity to zero in on the actual help versus consistently managing distress due to the chairs they are perched on.accent chairs under 100 dollarsReplyDelete
Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! the best flip chairsReplyDelete
You can set your lights to turn on and off, contingent upon your own timetable or, add movement sensors, so you will not squander energy.the summit on sixthReplyDelete
It is the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. It has proved utmost beneficial for me. Curso produccion musicalReplyDelete